Who can resist the down-home taste of warm flaky biscuits, slathered in jam or drizzled with honey or agave! These biscuits are made plant-based and oil-free, using cashew sour cream in place of the traditional butter or lard. (You can mix up this simple cashew sour cream several days ahead of time, if desired.) The results are dense and flaky, with the perfect crumb, just like you remember from your childhood! They are a wonderful accompaniment to a big bowl of of soup or chili, or to eat alongside your mashed potatoes and vegan gravy.
You can even bake them up on top of your vegetable pot pie! (Full vegan pot pie recipe coming soon to LittleBluePlates.com)
They’re PURE COUNTRY GOODNESS, and quick to make, so why not whip up a batch of these perfect Vegan Sour-Cream Biscuits today!
Vegan Sour Cream Biscuits (Oil-free)
Flaky, homestyle biscuits that are also non-dairy and oil-free!)
- 2 cups all purpose flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cashew sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. (Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.)
- Add the cashew sour cream and stir it lightly into the flour mixture; then “cut” it in using a fork or pastry cutter, pressing the larger clumps into the flour mixture, until little flakes are formed uniformly throughout.)
- Add the almond milk, a little at a time, stirring lightly to combine. (You may not need to use all the almond milk. Just keep adding and mixing the milk, a little at a time, until the crumbs begin to clump together.) Don’t over mix! Dough should be dry and crumbly. Press the crumbly clumps together lightly with your hands just until the dough begins to hold together. (Dough should be rough looking, not smooth.)
- Sprinkle a little extra flour on your countertop or cutting board, then place the dough on top. Gently press and lightly pat the dough with your hands to flatten slightly, until the dough is a flat slab, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a small drinking glass, cut about 8-10 biscuits from the soft, dough slab.
- Place cut biscuits onto a parchment lined baking sheet about an inch or so apart. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Serve biscuits warm or cold, with strawberry jam or a drizzle of honey or agave! Store cooled leftover biscuits in an airtight bag or container. Biscuits can also be frozen in a zip-top bag for up to 2 months. (When ready to use, thaw and re-heat each biscuit in the microwave oven for about 20-30 seconds.)
Find this recipe and other great plant-based recipes at http://www.LittleBluePlates.com